A perfect tea time snack!Typical Tellicherry Street Food!My all time favourite kozhikal!Its super crispy,a little spicy and the perfect masalas using in it,its just amazing!And this is for first time I got it so perfectly and I am very happy about that!So I am sharing this with you all;)
During college days we used to stand in long queue in canteen for this crispy fries!This and egg puffs used to be our favourite college time treats with a glass of chiku shake.Even we bunk the class for this to avoid that long queues hehe! All those fun filled days is sweet memories now!sigh!This one is for you all dears!
Kozhikal(kozhi means chicken and kal means leg) the name come may be because of its shape and easy to hold like chicken leg hehe!I love this very much as it is so crispy and the flavours of tapioca and other ingredients are so perfect!A must try if you love tapioca!
For preparing this Tapioca should be cut very thinly,first slice it and then cut it in juliennes.Then add onion green chillies,ginger,garlic and for binding some gram flour and maida.That’s it.
- 1 big tapioca
- 1 medium onion
- 2 or 3 green chillies
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- Some curry leaves
- 1 tspn cumin powder(optl)
- 1 tspn chilly powder(more or less according to your taste)
- 1 tspn turmeric powder
- 2 tblspn gram flour
- 3 or 4 tblspn all purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 to 1 tspn asafoetida
- Few drops of water
- Oil for frying
- Cutting the veggie is very important, that will make your fritters really crispy.Peel the tapioca wash and rinse.Now slice it as thin as you can(use sharp knife) and then cut it into thin juliennes ,of about 8 to 10 inch..
- Slice onions,ginger julienne cut,crush garlic,slit green chillies.
- In a large bowl mix together tapioca and other veggies add salt n turmeric and rub it well with your hands.Now mix in all other ingredients,Don’t add all the flour in one go, check and add, because we don’t need more flour. Just for binding is enough and again mix well and check for water how much you need to add to hold the batter together.
- Now In a kadai pour oil to deep fry it.Take some tapioca mix and hold them together by pressing it and make it even thickness and height of about 8 inch and put it in the preheated oil.This should be fried in medium flame.don’t make the flame too high.Patiently fry it until golden and crispy!Serve it hot with tea.
It is really a yummy treat,A must try one.